With #PSL, pictures of leaves, and literally pumpkin everything, who can not love fall? Sure, growing up in San Diego, I don’t think I’ve ever fully experienced a real “fall” which is why I cannot wait for it to come.
When you hear PSL (Pumpkin Spice Latte) I guarantee half of the world’s population think basic. But why? And why is that so bad?
If you Google basic this comes up: “Airhead”, also known as “Trixie” (in Chicago), “basic bitch”, or simply “basic“, is a slang term in American popular culture used to pejoratively describe middle class white women who are perceived to predominantly like mainstream products, trends, or music.
I think doing “basic” things like brunch, taking cute pictures with your friends, is anything but boring or dumb. First of all, if doing “fall-esc” things then so be it. I’ll be basic.
FALL IS ANYTHING BUT BASIC
And here is my bucket list of what I will be doing to embrace fall & everything about it.
- Get a pumpkin spice latte..OBVIOUSLY! But wait, have you tried it before you hated? It’s delicious, tastes like pumpkin pie mixed with coffee. But wait again…I tried something today (If you follow me on Instagram you know) but it’s my “fall in a cup” which is an iced chai latte with pumpkin spice. BOOM! Life changed, and you are welcome.
- Rock a plaid scarf…. or just a scarf in general. In San Diego, you can’t dream of wearing a scarf in October, maybe in November. So yes, as soon as it’s 60 degrees outside, catch me rockin’ my plaid scarf.
- Take pictures in the leaves, which I will admit, I have done. When I went and visited one of my best friends in Iowa, and I was obsessed. And I can’t wait to do it again.
- Go to a pumpkin patch, last year, I went in crutches, and wore jeans and a vest just to feel like it was fall. But I sweated throughout the whole time. It wasn’t as fall-ish as you would imagine. So this year, I’ll wear a scarf, boots, a sweater, and be cozy with my apple cider donut and be 100% happy.
- Rock a flannel shirt. This alone screams fall to me, a red-ish one, with boots. Perfect, outfit done.
- Visit a haunted house. In San Diego, they did ones where people dressed up to scare you. Yes, you knew they were fake. Yes, you knew you weren’t in any real danger. But it was as if you couldn’t help but take your mind to the “what if” and get a little spooky.
- Make a halloween costume. Last year, Danny and I were buzz and woody from toy story, I thought it turned out very well…Woody’s shirt could have used a little something? The year before that I was a taco bell hot sauce packet with some girlfriends, and I still have the costume because I can’t seem to part with it. But overall, I love to dress up and being festive for any holiday.
- Get cozy in leggings, fuzzy socks, and a big sweater. I love everything about the thought of this. Curled up in under a blanket, watching a movie, and feeling the brisk air. We definitely couldn’t do this in San Diego.
- Show off your fall baking skills. I love pumpkin (if you couldn’t tell by #1) everything. Pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cinnamon rolls…and I’m sure my office will love it all too.
- Go to a fair. Fried food and all too maybe you’ll fall off roller coasters are a must. In San Diego, we had this in June, so we had to wear summer clothes where when we ate our bellies would bulge out and we’d run home and be embarrassed. Now I get to wear a giant sweater for my belly to swim in.
So if I do all of these things, I’m basic. Cool, that’s fine with me. At least I’ll be basic with warm feet, a full belly, and lots of cute pictures.
~ XOXO, the basic b*tch Amanda