If you’re following along on Instagram – you’ve seen me post about this – no doubt, but why now? It’s a good question! And what’s it all about? Let’s break it down. And I am sure, after reading this – you’ll want in!
A little about Beauty Counter
They have 3 main missions:
1. Education – spreading the word, and educating people on why other beauty products are so bad for them, what the chemicals mean & to your body. And the more we know, the safer we can be.
2. Product – they’re creating products that still make you look fabulous but also are clean and don’t harm your skin. Can you really ask for more?
3. Advocacy – do your part! You want to change the laws, tell the world. Because nothing will just “magically” change.
The stats on chemicals in our skin care and make up products speak for themselves
- 80,000. The number of chemicals on the market today, many with little to no safety data – in the skin and make up care area.
- 80% of beauty products have never been tested for safety.
- 1938. The year the government last passed a law that regulates the cosmetic industry.
- 26 seconds. That’s all it takes for the chemicals in your beauty care products to enter your bloodstream.
- In the U.S. 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer – 40 years ago, it was 1 in 20. Leading cause? Chemicals we put in and on our body.
- Carcinogens are legal in our beauty products – which have a direct correlation to causing cancer.
Anything you use that has any of these, drop right away, here’s Beautycounter’s Never list:
- Formaldehyde – this is also known as a carcinogen that is linked to asthma, neurotoxicity, & developmental toxicity. Commonly found in shampoo, body wash, & bubble bath.
- Hydroquinone – a skin lightening chemical that inhibits the production of melanin and is linked to cancer, organ toxicity, & skin irritation. Commonly found in skin-lightening creams.
- Parabens (methyl-, isobutyl-, propyl- and others) – used to prevent the growth of bacteria & mold. Parabens are hormone disruptors, which may alter important hormone mechanisms in our bodies. Commonly found in shampoo, face cleanser, body wash, body lotion, & foundation.
- Phthalates (DBP, DEHP, DEP and others) – a class of plasticizing chemicals used to make products more pliable or to make fragrances stick to skin. Phthalates disrupt the endocrine system & may cause birth defects. Commonly found in syntheic fragrance, nail polish, hairspray, & plastic materials
- Polyethylene glycol (PEG compounds) – used in cosmetics as thickeners, solvents, softeners, & moisture-carriers. Depending on maufacturing processes, PEGs may be contamined with measureable amounts of ethlyene oxide & 1,4-dioxane, which are both carcinogens. Commonly found in creams, sunscreens, & shampoo.
- Retinyl palmitate and Retinol (Vitamin A) – A nutrient that may damage DNA & speed the growth of skin tumors when used topically. Commonly found in moitsureizer & anti-aging skin care.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS and SLES) – SLS & SLES are the surfactants that can cause skin irritation or trigger allergies. SLES is often contaminated with 1,4-dioxane, a byproduct of a petrochemical process called ethoxylation, which is used to process other chemicals in order to make them less harsh.
- Synthetic flavor or fragrance
- Methylisothiazolinone and methylchloroisothiazolinone
- Triclosan and Triclocarban
- Benzalkonium Chloride
- BHA and BHT
- Ethyl enediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA)
- Ethanolamines (MEA/DEA/TEA)
Don’t even get me started with the chemicals we put on babies and what they do, or should I and what they do?
✖️Over half of America’s children (54%) are chronically ill
✖️Autism rates are as high as one in 28 in some states
✖️One in six children (15%) has a learning or behavioral disorder
✖️One in every 10 American children (11%) have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
✖️One in every 13 American children suffer from eczema and food allergies including deadly peanut allergies
✖️One in every 8 American children (13%) are in special education
✖️Over 15,000 children were diagnosed with cancer last year alone
✖️There is an epidemic of autoimmune illnesses like diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and psoriasis
✖️Many children suffer from debilitating anxiety, Tourette’s and sensory issues
✖️American children are 70 percent more likely to die before adulthood with mortality of kids in the US higher than in peer nations since the 1980s
✖️America’s infant mortality is much higher than in other higher-income countries
Do you think this is a coincidence with chemicals?
We are surrounded by these chemicals and it’s legal to put us in harm’s way because it’s cheaper or easier or whatever the excuse is.
What you can do to get involved
Our mission at Beautycounter is to get safer products into the hands of everyone, let me know how you want to get involved. If you’re interested in trying any products (need recommendations) I am here for you. If you want to jump right in and shop, here’s MY link: To shop with me! Or you can join my team, and join the movement! As always, reach out with any questions or to jump right in!
~ XOXO, the clean beauty boss babe, Amanda